Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Indiginous ceramics from Canada

Me at the ROM!


Ontario Iroquoian
height: 25.8 cm 900 - 1300 AD

I took a trip to the Royal Ontario Museum in June to look at the ceramics collection. If you have a
chance you should visit the museum. I know I have said that before but it really is worth repeating. The pottery and ceramics are spread throughout the museum. The largest collection on display would be the collection of ceramics from China but there are many other cultures on display. There is an interesting collection of objects historical and contemporary for Canada's first peoples. Here are some ceramic objects from the historical collection. I've found little information about the ceramics made by First nation cultures as it seems research on the topic is sparse. I had intended to write about this in June but didn't know what to say about these pieces. Well two months later and I'm still not sure what to say. I find the collection interesting the stone tools on display are absolutely amazing. The level of quality and skill of making that can be seen in the stone tools is awe inspiring.



Smoking pipe
Ontario Iroquoian
Centimetres: 9.9 (height), 6.5 (width), 4.3 (depth)
1652 AD
























There are a few living animals in the collection. I forgot to record the species of frog in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment