Monday, July 26, 2010

A care bear stare or a stone in the bosom.

Here are some images and thoughts that I would like to share with you.

"The kanji characters 懐石 used to write kaiseki literally mean "stone in the bosom." These kanji are thought to have been incorporated by Sen no Rikyu (1522-91), to indicate the frugal meal served in the austere style of chanoyu (Japanese tea ceremony). The idea came from the practice where Zen monks would ward off hunger by putting warm stones into the front folds of their robes, near their bellies." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiseki

Here is an image from a great blog cake wrecks.com. For some reason I thought of the Tea Ceremony and how I haven't made any cake plates. I am currently without a studio or kiln but I do have two hands and a heartbeat so I have been thinking of making some prototypes and then molds if I like any. Here is a food dish from the Freer Sackler online collection this dish is in a Ogata Kenzan style a famous Japanese potter. I wonder what would happen if these images were used as an inspirational starting point for a cake plate. It looks like its time to get to the drawing board.
Food dish with design of blossoming plum
late 19th century
Miura Ken'ya, (Japanese, 1821-1889)


No comments:

Post a Comment