Saturday, October 16, 2010

Always losing her pocket-handkerchiefs!

I had some fun at the library today. I finally renewed my library card in Toronto, now isn't that exciting. I found some books with delft ceramics and I will finally work on that series of tin glazed blog posts from a few weeks ago. I have been thinking of narrative and design lately. I was completely
thrown of the coffee cup project but will get back to that soon. I had spent a week in London visiting family and it changed my focus on things. Every time I visit family I am reminded about the importance of family in peoples lives. While I was wandering around the art and design bookshelves I found a book about illustrating children's picture books. I thought it would be interesting to write and design some books for my niece and nephew as Christmas gifts. One would probably be about fishing for my brother and nephew. Another book may be related to ceramics. I'm not sure how to write a story about ceramics that is short and interesting for children. Neither my Niece or Nephew are old enough to read yet but they do have several picture books. A cautionary tale covering the dangers of free silica may be interesting?

 I wandered over to the children's section of the library to look at a few picture books and was surprised by some of my discoveries. I was a fan of Beatrix Potter when I was younger and was surprised to read the part where the mother rabbit warns her children that their father was baked in a pie by Mrs. McGregor. I do remember enjoying the illustrations in the books. I loved the little world of animals created by Beatrix Potter. I may write a story about stories coming to life in painted ceramics…

‘The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle’ by Beatrix Potter http://www.peterrabbit.com/us/potters-world.asp

5 comments:

  1. Did you know BP wrote a little book called "Little Pig Robinson?" You could write a little story for baby about a little ceramic tea set, which i have packed away for her. BP used the small book format so the little books woul.d fit in a child's small hand.

    I have also seen pictures of tiles with storybook characters on them, as decoration for their rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That title man.. I used to read those books again and again and again and again... how about Jemima Puddleduck with the foxy whiskered gentlemen.. and in the end the dogs save her life, but they eat the eggs, because hey - they're dogs - that's what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you send pictures of the tea set?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about the title? I almost quoted one of the racier lines from the story. I don't remember the stories I just remember the emotions. I signed 3 out form the library, The tales of Peter Rabbit, Jeremy Fisher and Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle. The Library did not have all the books. But I will get around to reading all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, nothing about it specifically. It just brought back super strong memories.

    ReplyDelete